Most of us are too busy to make breakfast in the morning, so a big pot of steel cut oatmeal made in a slow cooker is the perfect solution to make sure you always have a healthy meal to start the day.
Prep time: 5 min ** This recipe makes 10 servings, Cut in half and use for breakfasts on the go during the week or even a mid-morning snack.
Cook time: 8 hr
Total time: 8 hr 5 min
- Steel cut oats – 2 cups
- Water – 6 cups
- Milk (any type) – 2 cups You know I like non-dairy milk, it cuts the calories and sugar content.
- Butter – 2 Tbsp
- Apples, peeled & chopped (optional) – 2 to 3
- Truvia, Stevia or another natural sweetener (Approx. 2 TBSP)
- Kosher salt – 2 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 Tbsp
- Apples (if using) – Prep as directed.
- Optional: Give the slow cooker a quick spray of cooking oil or brush with cooking oil to prevent sticking of ingredients.
- Put all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or 4 hours on high.
- Top with nuts, yogurt, fruit, coconut shavings!
- If you don’t have a slow cooker, bring the ingredients to boil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and then simmer for 45 minutes, stirring here and there to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan