- 1 medium spaghetti squash, sliced in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped in 1/2" slices
- 1-1/2 lbs chicken breast, sliced into 1" slices
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, chopped, stems removed (about 4 cups chopped)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Red pepper flakes, optional to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place spaghetti squash face down on lined baking sheet and bake in oven for 40 minutes or until fork tender.
- Blanch broccoli rabe if desired (see notes below)
- While spaghetti squash is in oven. Fry bacon over medium heat in a large skillet until crispy, remove bacon and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Reserve bacon fat in skillet and add chicken, cook over medium heat until no pink is seen ~7 minutes. Add onions, garlic, carrots, broccoli rabe, olive oil, salt and pepper. Saute for an additional 5-7 minutes until chicken cooked through and flavors well combined.
- Remove spaghetti squash from oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes. Using a fork, remove spaghetti-like strands from squash and top with chicken mixture.
If you do not enjoy the bitter taste of broccoli rabe, blanch it before adding it to the dish. You can boil a pot of water, add the broccoli rabe for :30 seconds, then strain it and add it to a bowl with ice water. Remove from ice water and pat dry before tossing in skillet.